deer problems

Surprized to hear about deer eating hostas, daylillies, and iris.  Those are a
few of the "safe" plants in our country garden.  Deer have dined on all our
evergreens except the blue spruce and holly, (rhododendron and arborvitae being
particular favorites).  They've munched my impatiens, roses, holly hocks,
cosmos, and apple and peach trees but NEVER iris, not even the ones that do
bloom!

I've tried most commercial products which my husband calls expensive salad
dressing (nothing worked).  Most damage occurs over the winter so a temporary
fence was our solution.  Now we plant things that aren't so tasty.

We've found pachysandra, astilbe, hydrangea, lily-of-the-valley, vinca,
barberry, rose of sharon, monarda, forsythia and peony are unpopular.

I've heard that human hair works.  Maybe you could ask your hairdresser to save
some.  I thought about it but found the idea of hair in my garden unappealing.

Linda Crossette
crossette@beres.fccc.edu