Re: Deer problems

>      Help!  I have a significant rodent problem, which I strongly suspect
>      is deer.  In the past couple of months I have lost:
>
>      -  iris (stalks eaten, usually just days before blooming, leaving fans
>          more or less intact)
>      -  several young azalea (pulled out of the ground and munched on)
>      -  hosta (all leaves eaten down to the stems)
>      -  daylilies and oriental lilies (foliage eaten to the ground),

No help with the deer here, BUT, deer are not rodents, they are
mammals.  At any rate, they usually do not eat plants poisonous
to humans.  Iris rhizomes are toxic, and azaleas are EXTREMELY
toxic, so I am surprised about the azalea.  Hosta and daylilies
are salad to all animals; even humans eat daylilies (stir-fried),
so that doesn't surprise me.  Some lilies (Lilium spp) are
poisonous as well.

The deer question is probably the most FRUSTRATING frequently
asked question.  I don't have deer (thank goodness); I *do*
have armadillos and the neighbourhood dogs, but they just DIG,
they don't EAT.

--
Amy Moseley Rupp
amyr@mpd.tandem.com, Austin, TX, zone 8b