Re: Iris Experiment

Chris,
I wintered over about 175 irises last winter in the garage, which receives
natural light through south and east windows.  The MDBs started growing
before I expected them to, and I had some spindly growth before I got them
out into full light.  The MDBs didn't bloom very well.  The 6 inch plastic
mum pots I used for the bigger classes were much too shallow-use the biggest
_deepest_ pots you can.  The mix I used was half light crumbly compost, half
sand.  I had a surprising amount of bloom this year, and am seeing good
increase, _after_ transferring things to much deeper pots.
My reason for this craziness was a landscaper not being able to come terrace
my little hill for new beds, because of a death in the family.  I've had a
great time with it, because I could bring iris into the house in the pot to
enjoy the bloom, which lasted longer, shift iris all over the yard to enjoy
different color combos, etc.
_But_ I have to echo Gerry's comment-its a lot of work-early delivery and
planting, and mulching first year plantings with Christmas tree boughs from
the entire neighborhood has really cut losses for my friend, Bob,  who plants
all TBs.
He has a regular routine when receiving fat NW US TBs-a dip in 10% Chlorox,
dry, dip in benlate (sp), dry for two weeks in a cool place, plant.
We get down to -20, and usually have a January thaw that brings us up to
50-60, and year before last had no snow cover when the temps were 70 in Jan.
 Bob's bloom was cut, but he didn't have horrible losses of plants.
But, I had great fun with the pots, so Good Luck, Chris!
Kathryn Mohr, near Albany NY
kemohr@aol.com