hort.net Seasonal photo, (c) 2006 Christopher P. Lindsey, All Rights Reserved: do not copy
articles | gallery of plants | blog | tech blog | plant profiles | patents | mailing lists | top stories | links | shorturl service | tom clothier's archive0
Gallery of Plants
Tech Blog
Plant Profiles
Mailing Lists
    Search ALL lists
    Search help
    Subscription info
Top Stories
sHORTurl service
Tom Clothier's Archive
 Top Stories
New Trillium species discovered

Disease could hit Britain's trees hard

Ten of the best snowdrop cultivars

Plant protein database helps identify plant gene functions

Dendroclimatologists record history through trees

Potato beetle could be thwarted through gene manipulation

Hawaii expands coffee farm quarantine

Study explains flower petal loss

RSS story archive

Re: Iris Experiment

I wintered over about 175 irises last winter in the garage, which receives
natural light through south and east windows.  The MDBs started growing
before I expected them to, and I had some spindly growth before I got them
out into full light.  The MDBs didn't bloom very well.  The 6 inch plastic
mum pots I used for the bigger classes were much too shallow-use the biggest
_deepest_ pots you can.  The mix I used was half light crumbly compost, half
sand.  I had a surprising amount of bloom this year, and am seeing good
increase, _after_ transferring things to much deeper pots.
My reason for this craziness was a landscaper not being able to come terrace
my little hill for new beds, because of a death in the family.  I've had a
great time with it, because I could bring iris into the house in the pot to
enjoy the bloom, which lasted longer, shift iris all over the yard to enjoy
different color combos, etc.
_But_ I have to echo Gerry's comment-its a lot of work-early delivery and
planting, and mulching first year plantings with Christmas tree boughs from
the entire neighborhood has really cut losses for my friend, Bob,  who plants
all TBs.
He has a regular routine when receiving fat NW US TBs-a dip in 10% Chlorox,
dry, dip in benlate (sp), dry for two weeks in a cool place, plant.
We get down to -20, and usually have a January thaw that brings us up to
50-60, and year before last had no snow cover when the temps were 70 in Jan.
 Bob's bloom was cut, but he didn't have horrible losses of plants.
But, I had great fun with the pots, so Good Luck, Chris! 
Kathryn Mohr, near Albany NY

 © 1995-2017 Mallorn Computing, Inc.All Rights Reserved.
Our Privacy Statement
Other Mailing lists | Author Index | Date Index | Subject Index | Thread Index