Re: popularity parade (was getting the blues)

  • To: iris-l@rt66.com
  • Subject: Re: popularity parade (was getting the blues)
  • From: tlittle@Lanl.GOV (Tom Tadfor Little)
  • Date: Mon, 1 Jul 1996 10:31:47 -0600

Linda writes

:> I guess 20% of AIS members voting means an iris is very popular.
:Good point - but for us homebodies, it's better than no data or a couple of
:disgusted data points.  Another way of looking at it is that 354 gardens
:voted for her.

I think the popularity poll is a very good resource in selecting irises
to grow--better, in some ways, than the AIS awards. However, I take
newer irises on the symposium with a grain of salt. I think people get
excited about a new iris when they see it on the showbench or at convention,
and vote for it before testing it out themselves. But an iris that's
10 years old or more and has carved out a respectable slot on the popularity
poll is almost certainly a good garden iris in a variety of climates (though
not every climate, necessarily).

Another caveat, though, is that an iris that has recently won the Dykes
Medal is bound to show up pretty high on the popularity poll, regardless
of its merits or problems. I take it more seriously if it's still got a
good place on the list five years later.

Happy irising, Tom.