Re: Planting times

>However, I have planted Siberians at the beginning of the
>season (April) with excellent results... very well established
>plants/root systems that overwintered extremely well.

Chris:  this is a problem we share... siberians planted late in the season
here, will most surely die or, at best, sulk.  I try to order from those who
offer spring shipping... and (because I'm a meddler), I've tried to convince
others to OFFER spring shipping.  One answer I got was that they did not have
the increase or size to ship... so then there's two solutions - one is to
rethink the line-out process... the other is to charge a premium price for
spring shipping.  Either one's OK with me - taking the little green deaths I
mourn every year, the premium price would probably figure out cheaper anyway.

One thing I've learned is that for siberians and JI's shipped in late
summer/fall - I NEVER plant directly in the garden.  I pot and baby, then
overwinter under a heavy layer of mulch... seems to work OK.  Carol Warner
pots and then sits the pots in a child's wading pool until new roots form.

So  - maybe one positive thing this e-mail group can do is to coherently
identify problems and offer solutions for the good of us all!

Damn - sounds like Thomas Jefferson or something!

Kathy Guest - inspired