HIST: notes on various cultivars

From: Linda Mann <lmann@icx.net>

Overdue observations on various historic cultivars new to me this year.
A few temperature rollercoasters during late fall and very early winter,
then mild, then drought and heat, now >6 inches of rain & temps
80-90oF.  Comments are in relation to other cultivars that were
undamaged, such as ROCOCO, which had very little or no damage to 'new'
foliage.  By damage, I mean that leaves were killed from the tip down.
Rot is usually from the bottom up, unless the whole leaf and even the
whole fan sort of "melts"

ROCOCO - not much cold injury, normal bloom, stalks fell in heavy rain.
A tough one

BLUE RHYTHM - stunted (I think I remember that right) bloom stalk; lots
of damage to foliage - not sure if this is delayed death of cold injured
leaves (they looked sort of dehydrated & pale, but never turned brown
after being frozen) or cumulative cold, drought, rain or what.  Looks

NEW SNOW - pretty healthy.  2 starts - one bloomed the other didn't.
This cultivar is one of those with "sinking" rhizomes.  The kind that
digs itself into the ground rather than staying on the surface.  Showing
some tendency to rot a few outside leaves after all the rain.

MIDWEST GEM - 2n = 50.  somewhat like Rosy Wings in growth, tho not as
bad or as rapid a grower (a connection there?)

ROSY WINGS - 2n=50.  4 starts from 3 locations.  Best growh and heaviest
bloom from the one farthest away which arrived first (California).
Amount of growth and bloom followed the order in which they arrived, not
necessarily where they came from.  Heavy bloom, but sorry plant - heavy
cold  injury, drought damage, and the recent downpour has about finished
them all.  It's vigorous growth compensates a little bit, but I suspect
they will all be dead by next spring.

WHOLE CLOTH - pretty tough one.  Two starts, both bloomed normally,
foliage of one was somewhat more injured by cold than the other (dunno

TOLL GATE - slow and small, short foliage.  No bloom, some cold damage,
seems to have tolerate the drought and current monsoon well.

RIBBON ROUND - very healthy foliage, no bloom - this one MAY have lost
it's terminal bud, but it has grown so much I can't tell for sure.

CHANTILLY - rotted out.  I don't know if this was cold injury or later
problems (I missed the funeral).

VIOLET HARMONY - ok, bloomed well, big fans, maybe some drought damage.

WABASH - wasn't at it's best this year.  I wonder if the drought last
summer or the warm winter wasn't its favorite weather.

Linda Mann east Tennessee USA