SPEC: more observations: variegata, aphylla, and reichenbachii & near species

  • To: Iris-talk <iris-talk@onelist.com>
  • Subject: SPEC: more observations: variegata, aphylla, and reichenbachii & near species
  • From: Linda Mann <lmann@icx.net>
  • Date: Thu, 01 Jul 1999 19:56:56 -0700

From: Linda Mann <lmann@icx.net>

First year.  All but reichenbachii were planted directly in the field
last summer (bad idea!).  They lost their leaves in the mail or at least
the leaves turned black, so I figured what the heck...

WINE RED (I. aphylla) - very healthy.

X BRIGHT WATER - very puny & damaged foliage

I. aphylla 6156a - lots of damage (cold or drought or deluge or
cumulative).  Vegetative growth habit erect and taller than other
aphyllas & variegatas.

I. timeo... X I. variegata - puny, drought damage to leaf tips

BEARDSLEY (I. variegata) - wow - what a beastie!  Spectacular, healthy
foliage.  Small but wide leaves, spread wide.

EBENTHAL (I. variegata) - some damage, not nearly as robust as

HONORABILE (X I. variegata) - shorter than the two variegata clones, tip
burn from drought.  Vegetation looks very different than BEARDSLEY -
foliage is more erect and narrower on HONORABILE.  The flowers looked
very similar to variegata.

I. reichenbachii - Ian sent me several starts of two different seed
grown selections.  I think one has died (the pretty one that bloomed, of
course), but the other looks really good.  Foliage is taller, narrower
than the aphylla or variegata clones.  Both clones had some cold injury
to leaf tips, even tho the leaves were very tiny at the time, but no
apparent lasting damage.  The heat and drought apparently did in the
pretty clone.  I think.  The weeds are hiding things pretty well right

Linda Mann east Tennessee USA
one more report on newish stuff...

Looking for a new hobby?  Want to make a new friend?
Come join one of 180,000 e-mail communities at ONElist!