Happy 4th/weather/question

From: Barbara Jackson <jacksonb@mb.sympatico.ca>

Morning Iris-talkers,

Canada's birthday is over and now it's time for Americans to celebrate their
birthday.  Hope you all have a safe and happy celebration.  We actually had
a pleasant day to celebrate (read no rain!) and I hope you all will too.  It
is still much too wet in my garden and am kept busy looking for rot as a
result. So far no casualties.  Weather man says we got 292 mm precipitation
during May and June, about 67% more than usual.  I believe him.

Scenario and question: While working on the roof the other day, my dh was
using the garden hose up there for some reason and when he dropped the hose
to the ground it hit TB Test Pattern, the only iris left blooming!  I
quickly checked for damage and it appears that the part of the rhizome to
which the bloom stalk is attached has broken at the base just under the
ground.  It is not severed but is broken about one third of the way through
and is still managing to stand tall with the bloom so far remaining
undamaged.  So now the question, should I leave the bloomstalk attached
(there are still 1 bud to go) or remove it and treat the rhizome to prevent
disease?  If the answer is to remove the bloomstalk how would I go about it
and what is the treatment?  From now on I will take the hose down from the
roof for him to prevent something like this happening again.  To his credit,
the dh says he is sorry for the damage and will replace the iris if it
doesn't come back next year.  Aside from the affected portion, there are two
other healthy fans with no damage detected.

Happy 4th to my American friends and I look forward to your collective
advice on Test Pattern's fate.

Barb

Barbara Jackson
jacksonb@mb.sympatico.ca
"Sunny" Manitoba
Zone 3 Canadian Prairies

With more than 20 million e-mails exchanged daily...
http://www.onelist.com
...ONElist is home to the liveliest discussions on the Internet!