CULT: weather & bloom

From: "J.F. Hensler" <hensler@povn.com>

Our TB season is nearly over with most things that still have blooms
looking a bit ragged after the recent storms. A few exceptions are
Neptune's Cloak... still covered in blooms: Avalon (new arrival) who is
showing the most perfectly intense orange blooms;  Queen of Angels (another
new arrival) with some of the heaviest lace I've seen on a cool, crisp,
lavender-white; and Scorpio Star who has decided to send up a much later
stalk has just opened a perfect bloom this morning. (Walter, is this one a
rebloomer, repeat bloomer, or is it just trying to impress me?)

The psuedacorus are in bloom and it looks like all of the hoped for white
seedlings I've coddled for the past two years are yellow. (sheep food!)
Anyone collecting psueds will want to add Huber's Sun Cascade to their
lineup. This is NOT a simple double... it must have at least three layers
of petals and is one of the most outrageous things going in the garden at
the moment!

The fulvas are blooming and Black Gamecock (LA) is due to open in a few
days. Midseason Siberians are finishing up and the Lates are just now
beginning to show color. The resident row of Spuria (orientalis ?) is
kicking into gear and with the number of buds ready to pop will be
outstanding this year.

Typical for our area, the temps have dropped like a rock for the 4th of
July, but only down to a low of 34 so far. Two more nights to go till we
see if we've dodged the frost before the temperature settings jump to highs
in the 80s and sneak back up to the 50s at night.

Christy Hensler
Newport, WA z4b

Find people who care about what you care about.
At ONElist:  your connection to community.