CULT: drought stress

  • To: iris-talk@onelist.com
  • Subject: CULT: drought stress
  • From: Linda Mann <lmann@icx.net>
  • Date: Wed, 07 Jul 1999 06:54:27 -0700

From: Linda Mann <lmann@icx.net>

Donald Eaves in Texas has posted that tips of most of the leaves of his
irises are brown from heat and drought.  Thought I should maybe clarify
that when I mentioned drought damage on cultivars here, I meant they
were looking pretty sick from it, not just with nipped tips.  In other
words, the drought seemed to injure the plants so much that they became
much more susceptible to foliar diseases.  This really showed up after a
few days of heavy (several inches) rain and temperatures >90o F.  Some
of the ones that I mentioned as having serious drought damage have very
little healthy foliage left - single or no leaf blades per rhizome.
Most of the rhizomes are still ok at the moment, but this has to be
using up energy reserves and making it hard to set flower buds.

What are cultivars doing on the Atlantic coast?

Linda Mann east Tennessee USA

ONElist:  your connection to like-minds and kindred spirits.