Re: CULT: Iris borer

From: "Mark, Maureen" <MARKM@tc.gc.ca>

Hi Nancy,

Yes, it's been a bad year for borer.  Sandy sprayed three times this spring
roughly two weeks apart.  In his digging during the last week, he has still
found a few signs of borer.

You are doing all the right things.

Mosquitoes are about normal here and we have the usual earwigs and the
caterpillars on the roses are a pain.

Maureen Mark
mailto:mmark@ottawa.com
Ottawa, Canada (zone 4)

> From: "Nancy Coffey" <ncoffey@netrover.com>
>
> Hi folks,
>
> I'm surprised that I haven't seen anything lately about iris borer, but
> I just discovered it in my garden and have been digging up EVERYTHING.
> We are having a heat wave and it's like a sauna out there, but so many
> of my clumps are affected that I have to do it now. I had planned to
> divide a lot this fall but have been forced to do it at a bad time, for
> the iris and for me.
>
> I'm cutting out the borer or discarding the rhizomes and burning them.
> I'm also watching for pupae but haven't seen any yet. Once I get all of
> this done, I will clean up the dead leaves as they appear and burn
> them, but is there anything else I should be doing? I understand that
> there is no use applying Cygon until spring. I try to stay away from
> chemicals but this infestation is so widespread that I think I will
> treat them all in the spring.
>
> It seems to be a better year for mosquitoes and deer flies, but much
> worse for earwigs, rose chafers, and borers. I picked hundreds, maybe
> thousands, of rose chafers off my peonies and drowned them in soapy
> water. It's never been that bad before.
>
> I've never seen an iris borer before but now I know what you have been
> talking about. My skin is still crawling!
>
> Nancy Coffey
> Bowmanville, Ontario zone 5a

Campaign 2000 is here!
http://www.onelist.com
Discuss your thoughts; get informed at ONElist.  See our homepage.