Re: TB: Ensminger seedling?

From: "J.F. Hensler" <hensler@povn.com>

From:	"Jeff and Carolyn Walters" <jcwalters@bridgernet.com>
the seedling number you quoted does not match Allan's system for
identifying seedlings. There is a color photo of a selection of the
variegated seedlings Ensminger was offering for sale on page 64 of the
April '91 AIS Bulletin. One of the seedlings depicted corresponds quite
closely to the one you have described.<<<

Would anyone be able to scan this photo in the Bulletin and send it along
(or post)?

A number of people have mentioned that the numbering system is different on
the seedling in question and I have to agree. Still, this is the best lead
going. I'd bet that the 83 is the year of germination, cross or acquisition
and the 7943 with "-" plunked somewhere in there is the real seedling
number. If you've ever played "Telephone" you've got a pretty good idea how
easily seedling numbers can morph from garden to garden!

One unidentified JI I've been tracking leads on for years has finally come
down to a 90 per cent chance it was ordered from Gurney's! Detective work
seems to be part hard facts, part human psychology, and part hunch. The
clincher on this one was the fact, after all other leads fizzled, that the
garden had only 3 JIs (all about the same size clump) and all were
uniformly "coyote ugly".

Thanks for all the help on this one. With luck the camera is working
properly and I'll have a photo to post later.

Christy Hensler
Newport, WA z4b

Campaign 2000 is here!
http://www.onelist.com
Discuss your thoughts; get informed at ONElist.  See our homepage.