Re: OT: Black Iris

From: Bill Shear <BILLS@hsc.edu>

Wait for it--Schreiners' will be introducing (perhaps next year?) a
wonderful black seedling seen at the OKC convention.  The blackest I have
seen, and with an amazing glossy silk finish.  Sorry I don't have the
number, but I mention it in my convention report in the forthcoming July
Bulletin.  There may also be a picture if Terry finds the space.

Some other black irises of interest:  The 40 chromosome sibrian iris Iris
chrysographes--some selected forms are black as any TB hybrid, maybe
blacker, and set off by bright gold lines in the throat.  The oncocyclus
iris Iris nigricans is also patent-leather black, at least in the falls.
Many oncos have very black signals.

By the way, why is this thread labelled "OT?"

Bill Shear
Department of Biology
Hampden-Sydney College
Hampden-Sydney VA 23943