Re: CULT: Iris borer

From: Dennis Kramb <dkramb@badbear.com>

>I've never seen an iris borer before but now I know what you have been
>talking about. My skin is still crawling!

Nancy, aren't they just the cutest little caterpillars you ever did see!?
Hahahaha.  They are nasty little beasties indeed, and I was fortunate
enough to only have one borer (out of something like 200 clumps of
rhizomes).  People keep telling me that chopping the leaves down to 2" or
3" in early October (and discarding them) will prevent heavy infestations.
My dad (now 69 y/o) remembers his mom doing this when he was a little boy.
She'd take a hand scissors and spend an afternoon carefully cutting them
all back.

Dennis Kramb; dkramb@badbear.com