Re: CULT: drought stress

From: Iarejan@aol.com

In a message dated 7/7/99 7:08:34 AM Eastern Daylight Time, lmann@icx.net
writes:

<<  Some
 of the ones that I mentioned as having serious drought damage have very
 little healthy foliage left - single or no leaf blades per rhizome.
 Most of the rhizomes are still ok at the moment, but this has to be
 using up energy reserves and making it hard to set flower buds.

 What are cultivars doing on the Atlantic coast?   >>

Linda,
     Well as for the Myrtle Beach SC iris...they're doing pretty well.  Only
some brown leaves due to  exposed roots when soil washed away (transpiration)
from that heavy rain a couple days ago.   Now mine are in just a smidge of
shade for the hottest part of the day,  which I think makes some of them
happy in these 100 or so
temps.   I also gave mine a drink or two when it was drought-y because our
sandy soil dries out in a snap, particularly the surface...  good for
drainage, but I'll be adding a little more organic matter later this month,
mostly in the form of composted leaf/bark/whatnot...from under trees in
wooded area of the yard.
     I still need to move the rebloomers to their own section so I can keep
up better with water allotments to them.   Just too durn hot to do anything
now.   Maybe an overcast day this month...

Janet Natale
zone 8 of S.C. where hosta flowers ending (already), cannas blooming along
with daisies and torenia.

Attention ONElist list owners!
http://www.onelist.com/info/news.html
Check out the new "DEFAULT MODERATED STATUS" option.