Re: OT-BIO: Daren (RED IRIS)

From: Irisborer@aol.com

In a message dated 7/8/1999 3:06:33 AM Eastern Daylight Time, Jackcp1@aol.com
writes:

<< I find it really hard to believe that a red
 iris cannot be bred. If anyone has any info on this, PLEASE let me
know....if
 all else fails, Im gonna spray paint a white one red!...Thanks for any help.
 Daren >>

Get out the spray paint, Daren (or mecurichrome (sp??) works....)

In most plants of a collected nature, there is a 'holy grail' - in peonies
it's orange, in daylilies it's blue... and in irises it's red.

Now, this is not to say that red does not exist in some form (call it maroon,
call it oxblood, call it wine).... but true, lipstick, fire engine, tomato
red is just a dream.

There has been talk of one major iris house putting $$$ into gene splicing
research with the hope of importing the red color into an iris, but I'm told
they have not yet been successful.

So, buy your girl a nice red daylily and a nice blue iris and tell her this
story.  If you can't win her with a red iris, then dazzle her with footwork.

(:

Kathy Guest in E. Aurora, NY.... who has also heard speculation that there
may once have been a red JI, but that it was lost many hundreds of years ago.

http://www.onelist.com