Re: CULT: drought stress

From: "Mark, Maureen" <MARKM@tc.gc.ca>

A belated welcome back, Bill.  And from the North, I can say that you would
lose at least half the rhizomes if planted in September.  We lost almost all
the siberians the one year that they were planted in late September --
recommended planting time is mid to late September.  We now plant beardeds
by first week of August whenever possible and beardless by first week of
September.  Any later means mulch.

Maureen Mark
Ottawa, Canada (zone 4)

> From: Bill Shear <BILLS@hsc.edu>
> I always delay shipping and planting until
> September, and since many growers dig their plants in July or August, this
> means nice dry, hard rhizomes to plant.
> Obviously this strategy will not work very well in the north, where
> September planting may not provide enough time for establishment.
> Bill Shear
> Department of Biology
> Hampden-Sydney College
> Hampden-Sydney VA 23943
> (804)223-6172
> FAX (804)223-6374
> email<bills@hsc.edu>

Attention ONElist list owners!
Check out the new "DEFAULT MODERATED STATUS" option.