Re: TB:Black Iris:

From: StorYlade@aol.com

In a message dated 7/8/1999 8:37:21 AM Central Daylight Time,
suttons@lightspeed.net writes:

<< BEFORE THE STORM is a poor performer here also.  The stalks are always
stunted and have a low bud count.  If the buds ever open the flowers are
usually half melted and very narrow.  I guess it looks good in PA. >>

I was really disappointed with this iris when I finally saw it in bloom.
Definitely not a winner on the show bench.  The second year, I had a clump of
about 10-15 stalks, and, THEN, there was no question.  From a distance, it
was distinctive--a real knock out.

Still, I complained when it made the dykes list (hang my head in shame!),
UNTIL I remembered how we are supposed to vote the dykes.  Garden
distinction?  That it has (when happy).  I'm guessing that it was blooming in
clumps when seen at that convention.

BW in BG KY where J. Beetles devour the iris rebloom, rose bloom, etc..