Re: SP: Spage Age Terminology

From: Bill Shear <BILLS@hsc.edu>

Thanks, Sharon, for the reminder about the role Lloyd Austin played in
bringing 'Space Age' iris on the scene.  Austin was also a pioneer in
popularizing arils and arilbreds.  I think he was one of the unrecognized
giants of the iris world who was never truly appreciated.  I remember his
catalogs from the early 1960s and wish I still had them.  It would be fun
to read a good biographical essay on Austin.  If I remember correctly, he
was also a successful breeder of pines and prominent in forestry circles.

As for the term "Space Age" iris, it is one I wish we could get rid of.
But I have no alternatives to suggest.  To me, it is irredeemably retro,
always making me think of those 'City of Tomorrow' exhibits in World's
Fairs of the 1930s and 1940s.  There is no Space Age (at least not now),
and there is no reason I can think of why an iris with a horn or petaloid
extension below the beard is emblematic of space.

Bill Shear
Department of Biology
Hampden-Sydney College
Hampden-Sydney VA 23943
FAX (804)223-6374

Attention ONElist list owners!
Check out the new "DEFAULT MODERATED STATUS" option.