Re: SP: Spage Age Terminology

From: "wmoores" <wmoores@watervalley.net>

> From: Bill Shear

> As for the term "Space Age" iris, it is one I wish we could get rid of.
> But I have no alternatives to suggest.  To me, it is irredeemably retro,
> . . . . . . There is no Space Age (at least not now),
> and there is no reason I can think of why an iris with a horn or petaloid
> extension below the beard is emblematic of space.

	Space Age is a term that has bothered me, too.  Since these
irises  came along at the time of Sputnik and our space race to
catch up with Sputnik, and they were new, the term S A was
attached to them as it was to a lot of things back then during the
space frenzy.  Thirty-five to forty years later,  they are still called S

	Some people called them novelty irises. I don't like that either.
Why can't we just drop S A and call them horned, flounced,
spooned or irises with appendages?

	And now we have this new chapter in the Judges' Training Book
called "Judging Space Age Irises,"  which will make it harder than
ever to get rid of the term, since it seems to be validated by the
AIS merely because it is in print.

	Anyway, this type of iris continues to advance and grow in
popularity, but the term applied to them is now obsolete.

	Walter Moores
	Enid Lake, MS 7/8

How has ONElist changed your life?
Share your story with us at http://www.onelist.com