Re: AR: C. G. White arilbreds

From: HIPSource@aol.com

In a message dated 7/8/99 2:31:22 PM Eastern Daylight Time, BILLS@hsc.edu
writes:

<<  The old C. G. White arilbreds were a very interesting lot.  I'm saddened
 hear that some of them have become extinct or nearly so; certainly they
 deserve preservation.  Perhaps the ASI should make a concerted effort
 before it's too late. >>

Several people have expressed an interest this year in finding them and I
have had little success overall in satisfying their requests.

In any system which lacks historical perspective, which gives the
preponderance of its attention and approbation to new developments and does
not show adequate respect for prior accomplishments and the achievements of
pathfinders, sad stories abound of glorious things not cherished until it was
too late. I think there is a lot of this in the world of irises.

In this case the problem is exacerbated by the difficult nature of the plants
themselves. Not everyone, however well intentioned, can grow the arilbreds
and they are doubly vulnerable to extinction because of this.

An observation from HIPSource, who, regrettably, could tell you a lot of
similar stories.

Anner Whitehead
Commercial Source Chairman
Historic Iris Preservation Society,AIS
HIPSource@aol.com

Attention ONElist list owners!
http://www.onelist.com/info/news.html
Check out the new "DEFAULT MODERATED STATUS" option.