Re: AIS: "Novelty" as a Term of Description

From: HIPSource@aol.com

In a message dated 7/8/99 10:12:02 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
billc@atlantic.net writes:

<<  Anner,  Maybe AIS should borrow a term from the Daylily world and call
them
 "Unusual Forms" or "Exoticas." >>

Not to sound disrespectful to the hem-oisie, but "Unusual Forms" is about as
lame as it comes in my book, technical-speak-wise.

Nor do I care for "Exoticas", since the world "exotic" itself would be
simpler and do the trick if it did not suggest something a good deal more
unusual than the Space Agers are, even at their most extravagant. Might be
useful for things like PINK MAGNOLIA or some of those flatties. But it is a
rather high-strung sort of word, really, and more than slightly evocative of
a strip joint.

If you want something short, simple and descriptive, but neither dated nor
freighted with associations, just call all the ones with extra petaloid parts
Appendaged Irises. If you prefer a mild poetic touch, call them Embellished
Irises. If you want to push the cause or start fights call them Enhanced
Irises. I vote for the first.

Anner Whitehead
HIPSource@aol.com

Campaign 2000 is here!
http://www.onelist.com
Discuss your thoughts; get informed at ONElist.  See our homepage.