Re: SP: Spage Age Terminology

From: "Loberg" <loberg@jps.net>

From:  Kitty Loberg <loberg@jps.net>

It may be very difficult to replace the term 'Space Age' which has been
around so long, but I do agree that it doesn't seem to describe the type of
iris at all.   Since the term seems to have come from the era of the time, I
suspect the term 'New Age' would match the times right now, but that too
doesn't describe the iris, nor would I want it.

Anner's suggestion of 'Appendaged Irises' certainly would be appropriate,
and I like it, but would it be hard to  "sell" the public?  Telling a
gardener that this is a "double" <flower> is an easy term to get out and
remember, but an "appendaged" <flower> may be a mouthful.

Is this something our Iris community could work on to get consensus on a new
term?  Could it be presented to AIS for re-consideration?

Kitty Loberg
Redwood Valley, Calif.  (northern)

>And now we have this new chapter in the Judges' Training Book
>called "Judging Space Age Irises,"  which will make it harder than
>ever to get rid of the term, since it seems to be validated by the
>AIS merely because it is in print.

>Anyway, this type of iris continues to advance and grow in
>popularity, but the term applied to them is now obsolete.

>Walter Moores
>Enid Lake, MS 7/8

-

Attention ONElist list owners.
http://www.onelist.com
We've just added a "NO ATTACHMENTS" option.  See homepage for details.