CULT: Pinched bloom between fan

From: "Loberg" <loberg@jps.net>

From:  Kitty Loberg <loberg@jps.net>

>what I thought was some garbage at the base of the fans , upon further
>investigation , I  discovered that it was full size bloom pinched
>between the fans unable to open on a stalk that I couldn't even see.
               Chris Darlington
   Chris, I'm glad you mentioned this pinched bloom thing.    I had my first
one in twenty years in 1997 on Romantic Evening and didn't know why.  The
iris fan is strong and healthy, and then here comes this silly single bloom,
trying to open way down in the base of the fan, and no further growth of
stalk.    Romantic Evening  hasn't even tried to send up bloom stalks for
the following two years, so I'm wondering if this plant has a bad mutation,
or what?   Actually, I don't even know for sure that I have Romantic
Evening, because I never got to see the bloom open, because it could not.
I thought this pinched bloom thing was kind of like bloom out, and it never
occurred again elsewhere in my garden, until this year.   I have had eight
(8 !!!) different varieties this year do the same thing, and it is WEIRD.
The only strange weather we had this year was a very late season, but the
eight pinched blooms were throughout my garden, old beds, new beds, early
season, and late season.    Does anyone know what causes this strange
attempt to bloom?
Kitty Loberg
Redwood Valley, (northern) Calif.

http://www.onelist.com