Re: HYB: Quarterbreds

From: Bill Shear <BILLS@hsc.edu>

>I've experimented enough to get some nice quarterbreds with signals and
>aril-like veining patterns, but this is really a program better suited to
>someone who can grow TBs with less pampering than is needed here.  I think
>it would be an attractive niche to any beginning hybridizer, regardless of
>age, because no line-breeding is required.

Sharon, I would agree.  Some years ago, I used pollen from a Henry
Danielson halfbred (I think it might have been 'American Dream' or
something like that) on 'Victoria Falls' and got a very attractive series
of powder-blue, full-formed flowers with small, arrowhead shaped black
signals or with darker blue spilling over the hafts and upper part of the
falls.  All seemed to do well here.  Of course, branching and bud count
were problematical but I suppose that could be solved by selecting the
right parents.  Also, Henry's quarterbred (?) 'Aril Lady' (see p. 130 in my
book; it's like a bluer, better 'Lady Mohr') seemed to be fertile.  I got
some very unusual-looking color patterns crossing it with TBs, but all were
dogs with regard to form.

Gosh, I wish I had space to hybridize!  Suppose I could convince The Woman
Who Travels With Me that we don't really need a vegetable garden?

Bill Shear
Department of Biology
Hampden-Sydney College
Hampden-Sydney VA 23943
FAX (804)223-6374

Attention ONElist list owners!
Check out the new "DEFAULT MODERATED STATUS" option.