Re: SP: Spage Age Terminology

From: Bill Shear <BILLS@hsc.edu>

>I'm not wedded to the term "Appendaged." In fact I'd personally do way with
>the whole special category and make them part of the larger scheme of things
>with their characteristics to be noted in their formal descriptions like any
>other set of characteristics.

This is the best answer, I think.  The appearance of the petaloids at the
beard tip was an expression of natural variation which just "popped up". We
don't invent a whole new category for every color break, nor are plicatas,
for example, considered to be something entirely different from other
bearded irises.  I'd be for dumping any special term at all and just noting
the appendage in the description.  "Space Age" was coined because forty
years ago these irises need promotion, but now they are widely, if not
completely accepted as a part of the iris spectrum.

Maybe it's time to just let them blend in to the panorama of iris forms.

Bill Shear
Department of Biology
Hampden-Sydney College
Hampden-Sydney VA 23943
FAX (804)223-6374

ONElist:  your connection to people who share your interests.