SP: Spage Age Terminology

From: Ellen Gallagher <e_galla@moose.ncia.net>

	Hello,

	I took the liberty of sharing with our erstwhile iris-l member,
	Clarence Mahan, now Pres. of AIS, some of the comments re Space
	Agers..only because I thought they were interesting and AIS policy
	or terminology was mentioned.

 	I truly have no opinion re the terminology employed except to
	feel that 'space ager' is certainly not an accurate description
	of these irises of which I find some quite lovely...uh, I have
	seen THORNBIRD several times in different gardens and I plead
	the fifth. I do like some kind of term that signifies 'appendages'
	which is what I think they are.

	The term (SP) sounds like it might be a flower that looked like
	a space ship...and since I have been a member of AIS for only
	6 yrs., my nostalgia quotient is negligible. Having said
	all this, here is Clarence's short paragraph:

>Interesting. My own feeling is that out of respect for Lloyd Austin, who
>really is the originator of horned, spooned and flounced irises, his choice
>of the designation "space age irises" should be honored.  I would hope that
>those who would like to change the designation would consider the matter in
>this light.  This is not something that I would "fall on my sword" over if a
>majority felt otherwise.  You may share my views with others if you wish.

>Clarence

To view the Siberian iris archives:
http://www.mallorn.com/lists/sibrob/
http://www.mallorn.com/lists/iris-photos/