Re: CULT: drought stress

From: BobGWilson@aol.com

Welcome back, Bill This idiot avant-garde iris planter believes in the
philosophy of Barry Blythe: Blythe As soon as the iris is finished blooming,
if you want to move it or divide it, do it, replant it.  I have done this for
years - against the advice of almost everyone - except Barry.  Already, the
increases that would have appeared in the clump left in the ground are
producing increases.  As in the past, I expect to have 2-4 increases by
blooming time next spring.  This seems to allow more time for the roots to
grow, and almost 100% chance of 2-4 bloom stems in the spring.  My batting
average on normally late bought iris is about a 50% chance of one bloom stem
the first spring.
   You also mentioned " dry roots."  I try not to let the root dry - to the
point of keeping early dug rhizomes in buckets of damp peat. It seems to me,
much like the JI, if the roots are kept moist, the rhizome does not have to
use energy to produce new roots, and can use this energy to produce increase.
I have notices that all the dry roots on bought rhizomes only shrivel to
nothing, serving only a stabilizing function.  What are others'thoughts?  Bob
Wilson

http://www.onelist.com