Re: SP: Space Age Terminology

From: HIPSource@aol.com

Ellen, having sent some postings to Clarence Mahan, received and forward to
the list the following response concerning terminology for "Space Age"

<< My own feeling is that out of respect for Lloyd Austin, who really is the
originator of horned, spooned and flounced irises, his choice of the
designation "space age irises" should be honored.  >>

I think Clarence has a point, too, and there is something to be said for this
aspect of things------ right up to the point where the term he selected is
found to be in impediment to the furtherance or appreciation of the type of
irises he was promoting. However, my own involvement with the issue is
largely abstract and I am not in a position to say whether this point has
already been reached or is likely be reached in the future.

The tack would then seem to be to explain to the uninitiated that the name
arose in a time of new space exploration and great adventures and this
exhilarating spirit of daring venturing into new territory was brought to
bear on hybridizing, resulting in new forms, many exhibiting tissue
structures with an upward tendancy, or other aspects suggesting loft or

I'll just cc Clarence in on this note myself, thanx.

Anner Whitehead

ONElist:  your connection to people who share your interests.