Re: CULT: drought stress

From: BobGWilson@aol.com

Hi Bill,  Most of my iris growing - for the past 30 years - has been in
Kalamazoo, Grand Rapids, and Livonia ,  all southern Michigan. Soil
conditions have ranged from sandy/loam to hardpan clay,to sand, to large
ground bark.. Adjusting  the water for the various soils, I have been able to
grow what I consider to be large rhizomes in each of the soils- 4-5"long an
+/- 2" in diameter on many of the TBs.(It was almost impossible to remove the
iris from the hardpan clay without a pickax)!   I have about 250 varieties of
bearded iris -  just started about 40 Lousianas and JI - as well as 60
varieties of Daylilies,23 of Hostas, 25 dahlias,as well as many other
flowers.  My iris are not grown in. rows, but rather as part of an overall
garden. On the iris,I use Cygon II - about the only killer!- work compost
into the soil around the iris, and feed them twice a year with bone meal -
early spring and mid summer .  The gardens recieve considerably more water
then they would if they were just iris, typically 45 minutes at least every
third day. I have been living at my present location in Livonia for three
summers.  When I moved here there were virtually no gardens, and many
overgrown trees and shrubs.  I'll borrow a digital camera to show off soon.
  Regarding weather, we typically  have 180 days of frost free.  However, I
have a picture of "CornHusker" rebloomer and myself putting up Christmas
decorations Dec 6, 1994. I have also had the MDBs in bloom the first of
March.  This year they were the first week of April, more typical.
  Enough of me.  Many thanks for your very knowledgable help.  Bob WIlson

Attention ONElist list owners.
We've just added a "NO ATTACHMENTS" option.  See homepage for details.