AR: Preservation of the C.G. White Arilbreds

From: Sharon McAllister <73372.1745@compuserve.com>

Message text written by Bill Shear:

>As I recall the old Val Slamova catalogs, the
descriptions were quite detailed.  Perhaps they could serve as a partial
guide, anyway.
<

Yes, and Tell Muhlestein's catalog also gave some very detailed
descriptions, as did Tom Craig for the newer ones.  Tom included a lot of
incredibly detailed drawings, that clearly depict pattern and form --
almost as good as B&W photos.    Rainbow Gardens [Lloyd Austin] published
some detailed descriptions and some photos.    In some cases these old
catalogs provide the only description I've found.

>  I seem to recall, too, that Tom and Wiloh Wilkes had a very
large slide collection that undoubtedly documented many CGW varieties.
Where is that collection now?
<

I don't know.  Tom gave me some of their seedling slides, but none of named
cultivars.

> CGW didn't keep any records of his crosses, I have read.  Is that true,
or
were there records that were incomprehensible to others?
<

He kept records incomprehensible to most, although Tom Wilkes was able to
glean a great deal from them.  I covered this in my article in the January
1998 AIS Bulletin if you want more details.

Sharon McAllister
73372.1745@compuserve.com

ONElist:  your connection to people who share your interests.