Re: CULT: replanting & drought stress

  • To: iris-talk@onelist.com
  • Subject: Re: [iris-talk] CULT: replanting & drought stress
  • From: Linda Mann <lmann@icx.net>
  • Date: Fri, 09 Jul 1999 19:32:52 -0700

From: Linda Mann <lmann@icx.net>

> I have noticed that all the dry roots on bought rhizomes only shrivel to
> nothing, serving only a stabilizing function.  What are others'thoughts?
> Bob
> Wilson

I have excellent results replanting right after bloom the way you
describe also.  From previous discussions onlist, the concensus seemed
to be that growth immediately after flowering is important for the
following year's bloom.  So success in transplanting increase
immediately after bloom depends on the cultivar and how upset it is over
being dug, having live roots broken or cut off, and how much drying it
can tolerate and still pick up growth where it left off.  Like you say,
it takes energy and food reserves for the plant to do all that stuff &
some cultivars will be better at it than others.  I think it is
especially important not to let roots dry out or be cut off of spring

So maybe to be 'safe', dig AFTER plants have finished their spring
growth.  However, I've left bloom season (early May) dug plants lying
around in the shade in a forgotten bucket or box for a month or more
(late June) and still had good bloom the following year, IF they get

Linda Mann east Tennessee USA

ONElist:  your connection to like-minds and kindred spirits.