SP: Spage Age Terminology

From: Irisborer@aol.com

I've really had no opinion on this topic.... until Anner's last post (which
got me thinking...).

She's right that the term Space Age has "unfortunate connotations of the
Jetsons".  And, although there is a sentimental/historical explanation for
keeping the SA term, I personally cringe when using it.

I like the term Exotic - (gleaned from daylilydom), since the suggestion here
is that these are not only different, but different in a desirable way

But then, I also like Freak - (gleaned from the 60's) for the same reasons
(but I'm sure this would never sell....)

Appendaged is clumsy

Austin is just as murky as Space Age (and may be detrimental to those of us
who can't grow the damn roses under that name.... )

We could get PC and call them Enhanced.

We could take a page from advertising and call them Special Edition irises
(and charge more)

We could use the equivalent terminology that spawned Space Age and call them
Nuclear Irises or Cyberiris

Chances are, we're not changing anything.... however, this is a fun exercise!

Kathy Guest who is facing an entire garage full of daylilies dug from a field
last night after work and who now has to get them into some kind of order and
down to her local Farmer's Market by 7 am.