Re: CULT: drought stress

At 10:15 AM 7/8/99 -0400, you wrote:
>From: Bill Shear <BILLS@hsc.edu>
>Strangely, drought stress can actually bring on heavier bloom the following
>season, provided the rhizomes do have time to reach blooming size before
>suffering the stress. The same biological idea is behind the improved
>survival and bloom of thoroughly cured (as opposed to soft and green)
>rhizomes. I can vouch for the fact that well-cured rhizomes with much dry
>foliage and stringy roots establish quickly and bloom reliably the
>following spring.

Bill -

The last two beds I planted last year gave almost no bloom - this would have been Sept., further south than you in Tennessee, and I think the newly divided rhizomes just didn't have time to get established. They were pretty green rhizomes, however - out of one, and within a few days back into another.

I'm wondering if what you are describing is not what's behind the notion of shaving all the roots off and planting new rhizomes in pots until they are established?

James Brooks
Jonesborough, TN
hirundo@tricon.net
Webmaster: