Re: SP: Spage Age Terminology

At 01:51 PM 7/8/99 -0500, you wrote:
>From: "wmoores" <wmoores@watervalley.net>
> Space Age is a term that has bothered me, too. Since these
>irises came along at the time of Sputnik and our space race to
>catch up with Sputnik, and they were new, the term S A was
>attached to them as it was to a lot of things back then during the
>space frenzy. Thirty-five to forty years later, they are still called S
>A.

I've got no problem with that. They were introduced in that period when space was a novelty, and our major budget priority as a nation, when each launch was a major television event, and hamburger stands were girded with golden orbits. It defines the era, and that defines the flower type introduced in that era.
For a long time I felt that the novelty would wear off, because the SA iris had little else to recommend them other than their alien appendages, but that was before the new Sutton catalog and his sneak preview web site came along. Now I think SA iris are coming into the space shuttle age - the era when the advertising department realized that those golden orbits could me superimposed into an M.
These notes written with a bit of a lump in the throat on hearing on the radio of the death of Pete Conrad.

James Brooks
Jonesborough, TN
hirundo@tricon.net
Webmaster: