HYB: pod shape - species?

  • To: iris-talk@onelist.com
  • Subject: HYB: pod shape - species?
  • From: Linda Mann <lmann@icx.net>
  • Date: Sun, 11 Jul 1999 06:37:04 -0700

From: Linda Mann <lmann@icx.net>

Looks like I'm going to have seeds from two crosses this year in spite
of all the rain during bloom.  One of the crosses (the AT SUNDOWN
lookalike X CELEBRATION SONG) has relatively shorter, fatter pods than,
for instance, the pallida crosses.

Has anybody noticed consistant pod shape differences among cultivars and
ancestral species of TBs?  Or is that another characteristic that varies
within species as much as between?

I know that the different species (e.g., Siberian vs bearded) look very
different, but hadn't noticed this kind of shape difference among the
TBs before.

The reason I am interested is because I am trying to learn about the
growth/behavior characteristics of the different ancestral species and
hybrids - probably reinventing the wheel of hundreds of years ago, but
I'm easily entertained <G>

Linda Mann east Tennessee USA
vast humid subtropical swampland - no flooding yet, but repeated heavy
rains, day after day.  The TBs are fluorishing - so much for liking
summer drought, especially here in the gravel fields.