JI: Cult: small black bugs, update

While weeding after a rain this morning, the small black bugs I described in an earlier post on JI, turn out to be everywhere, especially on grass blades, but also on leaves of bearded iris.

I inspected a blade under a magnifying glass and determined that my impression of a snail-like creat was correct. These are not bugs - no visible legs. They range in size from the head of a pin to 2-3 times larger, and under magnification there appears to be a slime track across the leaf when they move, although it may be chomping like a leaf miner. No appendages were visible except on one in a drop of water, where what might be mouth parts were extended. In other places on the edge of the leaf they appear to be feeding on the leaf. The body is flat and round, again like the head of a pin.

This could be the larval form of an insect, or something similar for garden slugs, if they indeed metamorphose. They could also be fully adult forms of whatever they are. At present I am regarding them as potentially hostile aliens.

Again, any information from someone more informed is appreciated.

James Brooks
Jonesborough, TN
Persimmon Katz
{ o o }