Re: CULT: dividing (was drought stress)

  • To: iris-talk@onelist.com
  • Subject: Re: CULT: dividing (was drought stress)
  • From: Linda Mann <lmann@icx.net>
  • Date: Sun, 11 Jul 1999 15:17:04 -0700

From: Linda Mann <lmann@icx.net>

James Brooks in Tennessee wrote:
> The last two beds I planted last year gave almost no bloom - this would
> have been Sept.... and I think the newly
> divided rhizomes just didn't have time to get established. They were pretty
> green rhizomes, however - out of one, and within a few days back into
> another.

This is one reason to divide and replant immediately after (or even
during) bloom - if the clump "needed" dividing because it was too
crowded for new growth to set flower buds, you waiting till after they
had done what they could for that year and missed the critical time for
bud initiation.  In theory, any way.  This is why people around here say
that irises won't bloom for you if you don't give them away - thinning
during bloom (which is when folks want to buy them) keeps the clump
vigorously growing at the time new buds for the following year are being
formed.  Also in theory.  & I don't know if this applies to
rebloomers...

Of course, that may not have anything to do with why you moved
them....but it's one of the more interesting things I learned from the
list in the first year (the theory for when new blooms are 'set' in the
rhizome).  They supposedly finish developing during growth in the fall
to be ready for spring bloom, so that could also have messed yours up.
In theory.

Linda Mann east Tennessee USA

Attention ONElist list owners!
http://www.onelist.com/info/news.html
Check out the new "DEFAULT MODERATED STATUS" option.