Re: OT: Canadian Invasion

From: RYFigge@aol.com

Kathy, what a clever name for young hybridizers!  And it brought back
memories of many years ago when Ann Dasch was chairman of the Youth Committee
and we had a lively group of 18 plus members and they were called the "FSK
KIDS" It was  fun for everyone -- they had a luncheon and "dressed" like the
name of an iris and people had to guess which one they represented.  I
remember someone wore a little apron -- for TEA APRON - one of my
granddaughters wore her grandfather's  mortar board cap - gold tassel and all
- and since her name was Barbara, she represented  SMART BARBARA --  the
children were very ingenuous, helped with Ann's imagination --- it was
amazing 0 there should be a picture of this  in someone's archives.  Try it
someday - you have the verve for something like this!  Thus tiook place  32
years ago (I couldn't believe it - had to subtract on paper to be sure!)  At
4 and 6 years of age, they were the youngest in the group and hybridized
everything  that took their fancy in my garden.  They even sent their
hopefuls to Natuional Conventions!  Which they attended, their mother was
very cooperative.  In fact the oldest went with me to the 4th International
Australian Convention when she was l3.   Those 2 "gramds" now have their own
"medians", but I'm sad to say they are not gung-ho on irises yet -- sports
etc have taken over although their mothers are still on our band-wagon..  I
will look forward to future news about the Canadian Invasion -- that's the
kind we can enjoy together - PEACE!  Also congratulations to Maureen and
Sandy!  Rosalie nr Baltimore  zone 7 where we are reviving in glorious cool
weather after dying in the heat last week,  ryfigge@aol.com

http://www.onelist.com