TV Exposure

From: "Ian E. & Shirley Efford" <avocet.intl@sympatico.ca>

Last week, the Canadian Broadcasting Corporation filmed three and a half
on irises in the garden.  This was cut to 8 minutes on the national news
last Friday evening [one wonder, what happens to the rest!] which
included the showing of one of Christy Hensler's crosses [JS 92 2] and
Tony Huber's new cultivar [Frnk Cabot 95WN139].  I mentioned both
breeders by name.  In addition, there was a section on digging and
planting and a fairly long section on the iris borer with a large
wriggling larva competing with me for prime time exposure.

In mentioning Tony Huber's Frank Cabot on this list, I would like to say
that it is a wonderful plant which is a cross of versicolor x ensata.
Given no background knowledge, you would find it very difficult to label
the species or group of irises and the best I would say was that it was
a multibranched sibirica, probably a tetraploid. It does not resemble
versicolor [may be a little in the branching] nor ensata, except in the
colour.  The flower is sibirica-like and  closely resembles cycloglossa
in both flower and form.  Unfortunately,  I do not have cycloglossa.
This plant is a medal winner!  It is very vigorous and floriferous and,
in flowering for the first time, has widely spaced branches with many
buds.  It is in flower right now.  The leaves are ensata like although
they have a tendency to look like pseudacorus leaves.

Ian, in Ottawa

Campaign 2000 is here!
Discuss your thoughts; get informed at ONElist.  See our homepage.