Re: TB: Cult: Tender Dykes

From: HIPSource@aol.com

In a message dated 7/12/99 1:47:39 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
hirundo@tricon.net writes:

<< It seems, from recent posts about the difficulty of maintaining Dykes
 beds, that there are several tender varieties that need special care. >>

James, I don't know what you propose to do with this information you are
soliciting but I feel obliged to say that we at HIPS are acutely aware that
very many of the things being grown by individuals under the assumption that
they are a Dykes Medal winning iris are, not in fact, the iris whose name
they bear. Some that come immediately to mind which are often wrong are
PRAIRIE SUNSET, WABASH, THE RED DOUGLAS, THE BLACK, DOUGLAS, SPUN GOLD, HELEN
MC GREGOR, SABLE NIGHT, BEVERLY SILLS, and EDITH WOLFORD. And my guess is a
lot of the other blue selfs would not survive close scrutiny.

It follows that the strong probability exists that any conclusions arrived at
from reports of performance in individual gardens will be faulty even without
factoring in such variables as growing conditions, or the (unverifiable)
skill of the grower.

<< Among them would be Vanity, Kilt Lilt, Before the Storm, ElMohr, Edith
 Wolford and others whose names escape me at the moment. >>

I must question the inclusion of VANITY in this list. It is certainly
possible to kill it, but I have always understood this is considered a
superior iris from the standpoint of hardiness and strength, and an iris
worthy of the award.

And I must note that the term "tender" is generally understood to refer to an
iris which is prone to suffer ill effects from chill rather than one which is
a difficult, or slow grower in any other circumstances.

Anner Whitehead
Commercial Source Chairman
Historic Iris Preservation Society
HIPSource@aol.com