Re: HYB: pod shape - species?

  • To: iris-talk@onelist.com
  • Subject: Re: [iris-talk] HYB: pod shape - species?
  • From: Dennis Kramb <dkramb@badbear.com>
  • Date: Mon, 12 Jul 1999 17:40:46 -0400

From: Dennis Kramb <dkramb@badbear.com>

Linda, I was hoping someone else would respond to this, but so far no luck.
I have noticed some very bizarre shaped seed pods in my garden.  But since
this is my first year doing lots of crosses, I didn't know what to expect.

Some of my bearded pods are globular (nearly round) and some are elongated
like a hot air ballon.  Some are dull, some are shiny.  Some are dark
green, some are light (none are purple though!).  I chalked up much of
these differences to the fact that some were MDBs, others SDBs, or
arilbreds, or TBs.

But even more bizarre was the pods on my beardless irises.  Iris fulva
makes big fat football shaped pods that somehow seem to have concave sides.
Iris virginca var. shrevei has long skinny pods that resemble a cigar.

Oh, the great thing about Iris fulva is that the pods are so full of seeds
that they are bending the stalks all the way over to the ground!  I can't
wait to harvest them.  :)

I suppose I should take some photos of this stuff for the IRIS-PHOTOS gallery.

Sorry I couldn't help with your questions........but I'm glad someone else
is noticing the different nuances (sp?) of the pods!

Dennis (who is also easily entertained!)

>From: Linda Mann <lmann@icx.net>
>Looks like I'm going to have seeds from two crosses this year in spite
>of all the rain during bloom.  One of the crosses (the AT SUNDOWN
>lookalike X CELEBRATION SONG) has relatively shorter, fatter pods than,
>for instance, the pallida crosses.
>Has anybody noticed consistant pod shape differences among cultivars and
>ancestral species of TBs?  Or is that another characteristic that varies
>within species as much as between?
>I know that the different species (e.g., Siberian vs bearded) look very
>different, but hadn't noticed this kind of shape difference among the
>TBs before.
>The reason I am interested is because I am trying to learn about the
>growth/behavior characteristics of the different ancestral species and
>hybrids - probably reinventing the wheel of hundreds of years ago, but
>I'm easily entertained <G>

Itís a new program at ONElist.  See homepage for details.