Re: JI:first flowers:substance

From: Gerry Snyder <gcsnyd@loop.com>

Dan & Marilyn Mason wrote:
> The petals are wide and very thin, clean white. It's hard to
> believe such a fine leaved, thin stemmed plant can have such
> large flowers and yet be so delicate. It's substance is like
> the finest thinnest cotton material, compared to many
> modern hybrid bearded irises, where the substance is
> more like permanent-pressed polyester.
> When it rains the JI flowers look wet. I put my fingers
> behind a wet fall. I could see my fingers through the petal,
like looking through a wet t-shirt....
> Maybe I'm using the word 'substance' the wrong way in
> regards to iris. If it has a different meaning among Iris
> judges, please correct me.

Since there do not seem to be any replies to this, I will have a go at

What judges should mean by substance is almost impossible to tell at a
single look. If a flower lasts as long as the norm for its class it has
substance. If it lasts longer than the norm then it has very good
substance. Similarly for standing up to rain and wind. Substance is
frequently related to thickness, but the relationship can be tenuous. If
your JI holds up well, then it has what it takes.

Gerry, sweltering in Los Angeles

ONElist:  your connection to like-minds and kindred spirits.