SPEC: I. reichenbachii

From: Linda Mann <lmann@icx.net>

My goodness that seedling of I. reichenbachii is a weed.  I just
finished excavating all the iris rows in the "cultivated" gravel field
from under the massive layer of ragweed, polygonum, wild lettuce, lambs'
quarters, (ouch) horse nettle, this spring's dead crop of Matricaria,
bulbous buttercup, pokeweed, ash and walnut seedlings, narrow leaf
plantain, some little weedy primrose, and a ton of carefully woven
morning glories.  Most survivors look pretty good tho some are starting
to melt with all this rain.

Last year, Ian sent me starts from 2 of his seedlings of reichenbachii -
all but one of "the pretty one" died (of course), but all of the other
one are growing well.  The best clump has 7 nice fat fans on it, not a
sign of anything brown - no leaf spot, no bug bites, no drought, flood,
frost, or any other kind of injury visible.  Just nice healthy green.
[For those in iris heaven, this is quite unheard of in my "garden"].  No
wonder PROGENITOR descendants seem to do better than average here.

Linda Mann east Tennessee USA