Re: TB: Cult: Tender Dykes

  • To: iris-talk@onelist.com
  • Subject: Re: TB: Cult: Tender Dykes
  • From: Linda Mann <lmann@icx.net>
  • Date: Tue, 13 Jul 1999 06:44:32 -0700

From: Linda Mann <lmann@icx.net>

James Brooks wrote:
> I'll tabulate this list and post the responses for comment, especially
> from those who are able to take measures to grow these varieties
> successfully.

And Anner Whitehead commented:
> very many of the things being grown by individuals under the assumption
> that
> they are a Dykes Medal winning iris are, not in fact, the iris whose name
> they bear. Some that come immediately to mind which are often wrong are
> PRAIRIE SUNSET, WABASH, THE RED DOUGLAS, THE BLACK, DOUGLAS, SPUN GOLD,
> HELEN
> MC GREGOR, SABLE NIGHT, BEVERLY SILLS, and EDITH WOLFORD.

James - what a great idea!  Results would be of interest to those of us
who read pedigrees and daub pollen and pretend to know which lines
tolerate our growing conditions.  Especially since these seem to be the
irises most used in hybridizing.  Are you interested in hearing from
those of us who only have tried a few Dykes Medalists now and then?  Or
just those who try to maintain a collection?

Anner - what James proposes might help root out some of the mislabelled
cultivars circulating under false pretenses and might improve the
reputations of some.  Can you share some sources that are known to have
correctly identified cultivars of the ones you mentioned?   I'm thinking
of ordering PRAIRIE SUNSET and SABLE NIGHT.

Linda Mann east Tennessee USA

ONElist users:  YOU can win a $100 gift certificate to Amazon.com.
http://www.onelist.com
Check out the FRIENDS & FAMILY program to find out how.  See homepage.