Re: Re: stupid question?

From: Dennis Kramb <dkramb@badbear.com>

Methinks ye have slugs!

Slug control #1:  diatomaceous earth - buy boxes of this at your garden
center - crushed skeletons of microscopic sea creatures punctures the slugs
(or snails) skin and they dehydrate & die.  (Crushed eggshells work well
too.)

Slug control #2:  slug bait - poison - kills them

Slug control #3:  beer - put a pie tin of beer out at dusk, and the slugs
(or snails) will be drawn to the smell...crawl in & and drown!  repeat
procedure until slug problem is gone

Slug control #4:  wood boards - place wood boards down around in your
garden, the slugs (or snails) will crawl under them during the day to
escape the heat of the sun, easy pickings for you to make them go *splat!*

Slug control #5:  ashes - slugs won't crawl over ashes from your fireplace,
it won't kill them, but it will deter them.

P.S. if you have pets or kids, I'd stay away from using the poison, and
possibly even the diatomaceous earth (it's nasty if you breath it into your
lungs).

>From: karen von bargen <von2@ix.netcom.com>
>
>Hi, All:
>   I have a less than brilliant question: I don't know what's getting at
>the irises: all the leaves look like someone went to a lot of effort to
>take little strips out length wise. Earwigs? Snails? Whatever it was also
>got the glads. The canna looks like it's been shot and now is Swiss
>cheesy. Probably the same culprit, right? How would I seek out and kill
>whoever is doing this to me? I just got a
>box of iris in and would hate to see them get assaulted by the mad slicer!
>  I know, basic stuff, but I'm begging for help!I never use pesticides but
>that's about to change....
>
>Karen von Bargen
>Scotts Valley, CA on the Monterey Bay where it's HOT!

Dennis Kramb; dkramb@badbear.com

ONElist:  your connection to people who share your interests.