Re: TB: Cult: Tender Dykes

From: HIPSource@aol.com

In a message dated 7/13/99 4:04:00 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
Suncitymom@aol.com writes:

<< Can I safely use the pictures on  the HIPS website (Quick  fix viewing) to
help identify them when they bloom next year? We can print the pictures out
now and save them for the club to use. We are encouraging our members to have
a historic section in our spring show.>>

The inclusion of a historic section in a show is a very fine thing.

The pictures on the HIPS page represent the best judgment of HIPS on each
cultivar at any given time but are always subject to revision in light of new
evidence. From time to time one is pulled because doubts have arisen about
the iris that was photographed. But you may assume that any iris there is
either the right one, or something so close that we have not yet spotted the

HIPS generally does not support the use of photographs as a means identifying
or confirming identity of older irises, and that includes our photographs
since people vary in their capacity to interpret the photograph in front of
them and since photographs typically distort one aspect of a bloom or
another, especially color. Nor do head shots, including the photographs on
the HIPS page, show the entire plant, information which is critical in
confirming identity.

I would say then that while the the photographs on the HIPS page are the best
we have to offer of some cultivars to date, they should not be used for fine
distinctions or firm identifications. What they can be useful for is showing
what an iris obviously is not. That is, where the HIPS page shows a blue self
and your iris blooms a bitone or plicata, you may be quite sure you have a
wrong iris.

Mike Lowe, HIPS Webmaster,  may have additional, or different, thoughts on
the matter and I'll copy him on this response. You may also wish to ask him
about printing his photos from the page.

Anner Whitehead
Commercial Source Chairman
Historic Iris Preservation Society

Attention ONElist list owners!
Check out the new "DEFAULT MODERATED STATUS" option.