OT: Space and Space Age

From: Bill Shear <BILLS@hsc.edu>

>After reading a lot of messages on this subject I feel bad that some feel we
>have conquered space and exploration is over with.

Bill, personally I don't feel that way and that was not what I meant to say
in my original message that evidently began this thread.  My conviction is
that we have backed away from space exploration when we should have charged
ahead.  The cost compared to the potential benefits would have been
minuscule.  But the "this-quarter's-bottom-line" mentality in business and
congress scuttled the most successful and uplifting exploration program in
human history.  Sorry if I offend, but as Indiana Jones said about the
Nazis, "I hate those guys."

BUT I do
>feel a need of caution here as we are creating or separating Tall Bearded
>iris where there is not a variety separation,,, rather then describing them.
>Isn't this taking it to far.

I would also advocate just folding the "Space Age" irises into the general
TB class.  If we consider them a separate group, then we will have an
endless multiplication of categories when horns, spoons, etc., begin to
appear on MDBs, SDBs, BBs, etc. I think they are strong enough now to
compete on their own and no longer need "affirmative action."

Bill Shear
Department of Biology
Hampden-Sydney College
Hampden-Sydney VA 23943