AIS: Stanley Goodman Youth Award: Region 18

From: HIPSource@aol.com

Greetings.

A few days ago several of us from this list were asked by list member (on
hiatus) Cindy Rust to select the Stanley Goodman Youth Award Winner for
Region 18 of AIS from among three unnamed nominees. All of the candidates
were exceptionally well qualified, and the choice was very difficult indeed.
Since the results will be of interest to Cindy's friends and all those
involved in AIS Youth Activities, I shall accept her invitation to post the
results. Here is her note to me announcing the results of the voting on this
important regional award. Following that is a copy of the nomination of the
Award Winner.

Anner Whitehead
HIPSource@aol.com

<<<<<Dear Anner,

Thank you so much, once again, for judging this year's Stanley Goodman
Region 18 Youth Awards Contest.  The other judges (Mark Cook and Mike
Sutton) have sent in their votes and here is the outcome:

First Place:  Contestant C:  Christopher Rust (my son) from Union, MO.

First Runnerup:  Contestant A:  Nicole Grzeskowiak from Hermann, MO.

Second Runnerup:  Contestant B:  Rachel Hindle from Hutchinson, Kansas.

I did not know that Jean Morris would nominate my son.  After she sent the
nominations to me, there was nothing I could do but try to find some kindly
people who didn't know any of these kids (impossible in my own club or even
this region!), and I am very grateful to each of you.  If you would like to
announce the results of this contest to the iris talk list, please feel free
to do so, as I will not be back on the list until fall.

Thank you so much once more, Anner---

Cindy
-

Contestant C:  I would like to nominate 11 year old C of East Central,
Missouri, for the Stanley Goodman Youth Award of Region 18.  C has been an
AIS youth member since January 1995 and belongs to the Washington Iris Club
where he participates in shows and meetings.

C has been showing irises for several years.  He has won Youth Bronze Medal,
Best Youth Design, Best Youth English Box, 2 Best Youth Historical Awards,
and Best Youth Educational Exhibit.  His educational display was deemed
worthy of a Bronze Medal Certificate.  C helps his club with set up and tear
down of shows.  He also helps with iris club sales by digging his irises to
share, and with packaging and pricing.

In addition to entering the Washington iris shows, C also enters several
additional shows in the St. Louis area.  He is always polite, and is helpful
to others, asking if he can help carry bottles and other equipment.  This is
much appreciated by club members.

C is active in the AIS youth group.  He entered the AIS Coloring Contest and
has had his picture printed in the AIS youth newsletter, THE IRIS FAN, along
with an article about his iris show activities.

I have visited C's garden.  He has his own area and grows several different
iris types including species.  I was favorably impressed with his gardening
ability.

C is polite, energetic, modest about his winnings, eager to help others and
has a winning smile that is hard to resist.

Thank you for your consideration of C for Stanley Goodman Youth Award.

Attention ONElist list owners!
http://www.onelist.com/info/news.html
Check out the new "DEFAULT MODERATED STATUS" option.