Re: OT: Rare plants

From: "Martha Brown" <mbrown@pldi.net>

>From: HIPSource@aol.com
><< rare plants. >>
>What do you all mean by this term, please?
>Unusual? Horticulturally sophisticated? Hard to come by so you gotta know
>someone in the inner circles to get hold of a hunk? Endangered? A unique
>I don't consider anything that is in national commerce as truly rare,
>and it seems to me that Heronswood and Plant Delights are pretty well
>mainstream nurseries by now.
>Anner Whitehead
I would consider "rare plants" to be a bit like intelligence or manners.
They are both very pleasing and a welcome addition to our lives.  They are
also available if you know where to look but sadly in our general day to day
lives they are  becoming less common.  So "rare plants" are plants that are
pleasing, a welcome addition to our gardens but like manners and
intelligence not necessarily easily found.

M Brown
NW Oklahoma, USA
USDA Zone 6b,  Sunset Zone 35

Start a new ONElist list & you can WIN great prizes!
See homepage for details on ONElist's new "FRIENDS & FAMILY" program.